Instructions for Submitting Resolutions
For the purposes of the Great Plains Annual Conference, a resolution asks the Annual Conference to take a stand on a particular issue or to direct somebody within the Conference to consider a specific action.
Resolutions for consideration by the Conference must originate from an individual or entity within the Great Plains Annual Conference. These may include, but are not limited to, congregations, groups within a congregation, individuals (both lay and clergy), district organizations, or Conference Boards and Committees.
- Resolutions must be submitted digitally as Word documents or compatible format, typed and double-spaced. Handwritten submissions will not be accepted.
- The top of each page of the resolution should read as follows:
- Page Number and total number of pages
- Suggested Title (fewer than five words indicating how it relates to the Great Plains Annual Conference.
- Financial Implications (i.e. Financial Implications: None or Yes)
- Each resolution should begin with a rationale of no more than 50 words explaining the purpose of the resolution.
- After the rationale, state the reason(s) that support the requested action. Statements should begin with “Whereas.” It is recommended that statements be concise and limited to fewer than five.
- Following the reason(s), explain the action that you want to be taken and by what date. Please be specific in your request. The first action statement should begin with “Therefore, be it resolved.” Subsequent action statements should begin with “Be it further resolved.”
- Each resolution should indicate the person or group you believe should implement this action. Begin this line with “Implemented by.” Please note that this indication is considered a suggestion. If the resolution is approved and the Annual Conference thinks another entity is more suited for implementing the plan, it will be at the discretion of the Annual Conference to make the change.
- The bottom of the final page of the resolution should include:
- Signature of the submitter(s) of the Resolution. Electronic signatures are acceptable in accordance with common business practices.
- Identification of the person actually submitting the resolution, i.e. “(Name), (clergy member of the Conference or member of the ____ local church” or “(Name), (role within the Conference, such as Chair of the Annual Conference Session Planning Team).”
- Phone number
- Fax number
- Email Address
- All items for action must be submitted to the Conference Secretary by March 15, 2017, in order to be included in the workbook or pre-conference materials. The only exceptions are items being addressed at a later date by the Connecting Council or approved for late submission by the Annual Conference Sessions Planning Team prior to the deadline.
- Items for action must be submitted by email or on disc to the Conference Secretary at: email@example.com
Or mail to: Annual Conference Session
3333 Landmark Circle
Lincoln, NE 68504
- All late items for action (that miss the original deadline for the workbook) may be included in the packet distributed at registration if approved by the Annual Conference Sessions Planning Team. The person or group submitting the late item shall supply 1800 copies printed on 8 ½ x 11” paper and punched with three holes. The mailing location for printed copies is currently being determined. Late resolutions should be placed in the mail no later than Wednesday, May 24 in order to be included in the packets. In addition, the person or group must submit an electronic file to the Conference Secretary prior to the beginning of Annual Conference.