Great Plains coronavirus update
March 26, 2020
Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services
Directed Health Measure Order 2020-002
The following Directed Health Measures are hereby ordered for:
- March 25 – April 30, 2020
- March 25-May 6, 2020
Gatherings are hereby prohibited:
Who does the Directed Health Measure apply to?
- A gathering is defined as any event or convening that brings together more than 10 patrons, customers, or other invitees, excluding staff, in a single room or single space at the same time, confined indoor or outdoor space, includes weddings and funerals.
It applies to places such as theaters, churches, houses of worship, gyms, social clubs, salons, and social gatherings, including weddings, funerals, concerts, and athletic events. This is not an exhaustive list but illustrates the types of locations the DHM applies to.
Small Businesses and private non-profit organizations of any size can apply for an SBA Economic Injury Disaster Loan at https://disasterloan.sba.gov/ela/Information/Index
National Funeral Directors Association
What Can You Offer Families?
As a funeral director, you are committed to helping families honor their loved ones in meaningful ways, while ensuring the safety of their family and friends. If federal, state or local guidance limits the size of public gatherings, there are alternatives you can offer:
- Have a private viewing for only immediate family and/or close friends.
- Delay the funeral and hold it at a later date. Discuss options for final disposition if you choose this option.
- Have a private viewing for only immediate family and/or close friends and have a large memorial service for all family and friends at a later date.
- Discuss options for webcasting the funeral so others can view from home (see webcasting information below for additional information)
If a family is able to proceed with a small service, please be sure to advise them of CDC guidance, such as: encouraging those who are ill and or at-risk (e.g., elderly, immune-compromised) should be encouraged to stay home; and following healthy habits such as social distancing, hand hygiene, covering cough and sneezes, etc.
You know your business and its capabilities best and should determine what options you are able to offer families while following recommended federal state and local guidance on public gatherings.
Conference Resource Center
The Great Plains Resource Center is closed until April 26, 2020, as Shawnee County is under an Emergency Order of Local Health Order requiring Stay-at-Home due to the rapidly growing cases of the Coronavirus. We apologize for this inconvenience and look forward to assisting you when we are allowed to return to the office.
Parking Lot Worship – Be Aware
I have seen postings on Facebook where individuals are looking into having parking lot worship. Please be aware that in many counties under Executive Orders, that probably will not be acceptable. In conversation with authorities, some are reporting that law enforcement will disperse groups of individuals. The Social Distancing rules would still need to be practiced, and only 10 individuals would be allowed. Please contact your County Public Health Officer for guidance on their requirements.