Garden City, Kansas is hiring a Full-Time Youth Director
As First United Methodist Church we strive to be the hands of Jesus Christ.
To coordinate and supervise the youth ministry of the First United Methodist Church of Garden City, Kansas, and effectively relate to middle school, high school and college youth and their parents. This is a full-time position.
Gifts for Ministry:
- The director of youth ministries will be a committed Christian who has demonstrated spiritual maturity, an ability to relate to young people, and a call from God to share the love of Christ with youth and their families.
- This person will be self-motivated with a passion and energy to reach middle school and high school youth by creating an open and inviting community where issues of Christian spirituality can be explored.
- This person will be an effective communicator, who is willing and able to speak and listen on matters of faith.
- A college degree in youth ministry or previous experience in working with youth is preferred.
Responsibilities and duties:
- Directly responsible to the senior pastor and work with other youth director if hired.
- Develop meaningful relationships with youth and their parents. Encourage and support youth by attending youth activities in the church and community. As possible relate to youth in their homes, school activities, and hangouts.
- Plan and direct activities for youth including but not limited to weekly activities, Bible studies, mission trips, Christian camps and retreats. Coordinate with district and conference activities when possible.
- Develop a small group plan and recruit and train adult leaders to implement the plan. (this includes church school).
- Assist pastors in leading Confirmation class.
- Teach short term or other studies with youth and adults.
- Be an advocate for the youth.
- Be available to youth and/or parents for counseling.
- Strive to maintain a relationship with college age students and seek opportunities to engage students on the local Community College campus.
- Coordinate Wednesday activities with other members of program staff.
- Procure and maintain supplies and materials as needed for youth ministry.
- Participate in regular staff meetings.
- Participate with pastors and other staff in program planning.
- Work with the children and adult ministries director to coordinate the youth ministry into the total ministry of the church.
- Relate to Church Council and attend and coordinate Youth Council, providing leadership if applicable.
- Relate to other area youth leaders and participate in community events.
- Participate in all regular worship services unless excused by senior pastor.
- Other duties may be assigned by the senior pastor as needed.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred or equivalent experience.
- Youth ministry experience in a youth ministry program is an added advantage.
- Prepared to whole-heartedly teach and observe United Methodist doctrine, polity, heritage and structure.
- Background of Biblical knowledge and teaching preferred.
Other Expectations and Benefits:
- This is a part-time position: Part-time is considered anything below 30 hours per week Sunday thru Saturday.
- Days Off: Coordinated with Senior Pastor.
- Vacation: Unpaid for part-time to be coordinated with the Pastors.
- Sick Leave: Unpaid for part-time to be coordinated with the Pastors.
- Continuing Education: $1,200 is available per year for Continuing Education to grow personally and professionally. Time away for Continuing Education to be coordinated with Senior Pastor.
- Business related expenses: $3,000 per year for reimbursement of approved business expenses. Receipts for reimbursement must be turned into the office as soon as possible.
- Safe Gatherings: Safe Gatherings training and Certification by the Annual Conference must be completed prior to beginning employment and renewed as required by the Annual Conference.
- This job description is to be reviewed after the first six months of employment and annually thereafter.
- A performance evaluation will be conducted annually by the senior pastor. If questions or concerns arise that cannot be resolved by the senior pastor, the director of youth ministry will have access to the Staff-Parish Relations Committee of the church. Issues will be dealt with in consultation with the senior pastor.
Contact: Jenny Maier
1106 North Main Street Garden City KS 67846