Countryside Topeka is hiring full-time custodial/janitorial services
POSITION TITLE: Custodial/Janitorial Services
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
POSITION SUMMARY: This position is a salaried employee position at Countryside United Methodist Church. The position is accountable to the office and facilities administrator and to the Board of Trustees. The day-to-day interaction will be with the facilities administrator. This position has interaction with staff, church members and other onsite personnel and as such is expected to maintain a reasonable personal appearance and conduct themselves in an appropriate manner. This position is responsible for custodial maintenance of the Countryside United Methodist Church building interior and will include minor exterior maintenance. The custodian will have complete responsibility for the custodial care of the church building including the child care center. The custodian shall develop a schedule for cleaning the church facility and review with the office and facilities administrator and chairperson of the Board of Trustees. This schedule will serve as a guideline for performing the custodial duties. This position has minimal direct supervision for completing day to day work assignments. Janitorial supplies such as cleansers, wax, paper towels, light bulbs, and other supplies necessary for maintaining the appearance of the church/building shall be inventoried and proper supplies kept. Monthly inventory provided to the office and facilities administrator to coordinate ordering. The requests for custodial services will originate from church members, office staff and outside groups who use the church facilities. The requests for services not clearly and normally identified as custodial services shall be reviewed and approved by the office and facilities administrator and/or the chairperson of the Board of Trustees.
Additional responsibilities shall include:
- Accessing need for professional service contractors to perform maintenance or repairs in and around the church facilities and reporting needs to the office and facilities administrator.
- Moving, setup and take down of tables and chairs for meetings/events scheduled for use in the church facilities.
- For additional responsibilities, see attached
LIST OF GENERAL DUTIES and ACTIVITIES. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
- Attention to detail
- Excellent listening skills
- Good communication skills (verbal and written)
- Computer skills to: communicate with staff, follow building use schedules, and maintain inventories
- Accountability in work performance
- Self-motivated and ability to work independently with minimal direction
- Ability to perform routine and complex assignments
- Team oriented and ability to get along with others
- Ability to prioritize and manage work to effectively and efficiently accomplish tasks with excellence
- Knowledge of occupational hazards, safety precautions, hazardous materials, and proper handling
- Ability to learn quickly
- Self-starter who makes wise use of time on task when working alone
- Ability to multi-task, manage shifting priorities, and use good time management skills in fast pace setting
- Consistently be a role model and set an example for others to follow
- High school diploma
- Must be able to lift/carry up to 50 lbs.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods.
- Must be able to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, climb/descent ladders and balance during the course of the work day.
WORKING HOURS: The normal work week will be 40 hours including Saturday. The starting and quitting times will be 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. subject to scheduled church functions. Time schedule shall be agreed upon with office and facilities administrator and Board of Trustees. Compensatory time will be allowed when the custodian is expected to be present for evening or weekend church functions/activities.
LIST OF GENERAL DUTIES and ACTIVITIES
- Provide for the general satisfactory appearance of the church property.
- Operate and maintain custodial equipment.
- Remove trash and debris from hallways and stairwells; sweep and vacuum these areas daily.
- Remove trash and debris around the exterior of the church building, sidewalks and parking lots daily.
- During the winter months keep sidewalks around the immediate building entrances clear of snow and ice.
- Sweep and vacuum the sanctuary, church offices and meeting rooms weekly or more often as needed.
- Clean and dust pews, floors, windows, AV booth, altar/choir areas in sanctuary and narthex.
- Empty all waste and garbage receptacles as needed.
- Clean and wax tiled floors as needed in order to maintain highly polished appearance. Strip and reseal as necessary/required.
- Deep clean kitchen weekly.
- Maintain supplies & cleanliness of all restrooms daily.
- Clean and sanitize all restrooms weekly. Touch up restrooms after large events.
- Vacuum carpeted areas weekly. Spot shampoo carpet as need. Steam clean carpet on a quarterly basis.
- Watch for fire and safety hazards. If action is required respond accordingly.
- Repair and secure church furniture.
- When needed and appropriate clean or touch up walls in the buildings.
- Maintain inventory of janitorial supplies.
- Prepare sanctuary as required for church services and sponsored events.
- Set up and take down tables and chairs for functions as requested.
- Replace burnt out light bulbs.
- Once each week check all exit signs for burnt out lights, replace as needed.
- Make note of any unusual conditions that need attention (refer to 23.& 24.if unable to attend to).
- Coordinate building access and work with professional service contractors as required.
- If you have difficulty completing your custodial duties, contact either the office and facilities administrator or the chairperson of the Board of Trustees.
- Treat those who enter the Countryside environment with friendliness, courtesy, and respect.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a listing of all functions and responsibilities that are required of this position. Employees are expected to take on additional responsibilities as requested. Countryside United Methodist Church is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, status as a protected veteran or status as a qualified individual with disability. Please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact: Heather Hoffmans
3221 SW Burlingame Rd Topeka KS 66611
Email: Click to email