Grinnell, IA UMC is hiring a director of congregational discipleship
A well-established United Methodist Church in Grinnell, Iowa is seeking a full-time director of congregational discipleship. This missionally-minded congregation engages over 350 in worship weekly and is adding a leader to their staff who will oversee the programs, experiences, and events that are a part of the discipleship pathway for children, youth, and adults. A priority of this role is to build relationships with both those who currently are a part of the congregation as well as those who are in the community. An organized, connectional, energetic leader with strong communication skills and a passion for reaching people would be ideal. This position reports directly to the senior pastor. Interested candidates should have completed their undergraduate degree and have a knowledge and acceptance of United Methodist polity. Other areas of responsibility and qualifications include the following:
- Coordinating, training, and resourcing volunteers for all discipleship ministries.
- Creating an atmosphere of belonging and fellowship.
- Growing weekly programs in participation, enthusiasm, and excellence.
- Connecting with first-time guests and visitors.
- Designing curriculum for the GUMC discipleship pathway.
- Ensuring Safe Sanctuary Policies are known and adhered to.
- Preparing and overseeing the annual budget.
- Championing spiritual milestone celebrations including: baptisms, confirmation, promotions, and graduations.
- Being present and actively participating in the life of the church and community.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university (Master of Divinity Degree or Masters in Christian Education preferred.)
- Knowledge of the Bible and theology.
- Acceptance of United Methodist polity.
- Ability to provide pastoral care.
- Ability to provide professional level spiritual formation opportunities.
- Strong initiative.
- Ability to connect well with youth and adults.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Commitment to growing as a disciple in Christ.
- Ability to lift 25 pounds.
Qualified candidates should send their resume along with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact: Renée Wilson
916 5th Avenue Grinnell IA 50112
Email: Click to email