Lawrence First UMC accepting applications for administrative assistant
FIRST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT
TYPE OF EMPLOYMENT: Regular Full Time – 30-35 hours per week
NATURE OF EMPLOYMENT: Support Staff
NATURE OF WORK: This highly visible position serves as a primary contact for people calling or visiting the church office. The administrative assistant assists the pastors, office manager, program staff, and congregation in a variety of administrative support, clerical, and data processing work pertaining to the church’s ministries.
LINE OF AUTHORITY: The Administrative Assistant is directly responsible to the office manager and indirectly to the Staff Parish Relations Committee. The incumbent is expected to carry out routine duties independently in a manner consistent with established church policies and procedures.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides administrative and clerical support to the pastoral, program, and administrative staff.
- Assists office manager with vendor and member contacts, data collection for reports, and other administrative tasks.
- Handles ordering materials for classes and small groups as well as follow through on returns if needed.
- Keeps membership computer database current and accurate and serves as the primary resource person for maintenance and retrieval of data in the membership and attendance modules of the database. This includes baptisms, deaths and new memberships.
- Keeps church calendar current and accurate and provides daily activity sheets for Downtown and weekly calendars for both locations. Also, provides updated calendars to staff at the first staff meeting of each month.
- Assists the facilities manager with building use requests by following up on the paperwork and any instructions for the event.
- Prepares letters, memos, reports, large mailings, and other documents as requested by the pastor, staff, and lay leadership of the church.
- Answers telephone and greets and assists visitors as needed when they enter the church office in a respectful, pleasant, and friendly manner.
- Receives requests for information from staff, members, and non-members of the church; secures or generates the needed data; responds to the requesting party.
- Plans for annual cycle of office projects and sees that they are done in a timely manner.
- Stays current on bulk mailing supplies and church mailing procedures to be efficient.
- Assists the media manager on updating staff, news and community bulletin boards throughout the church.
- Schedules and works closely with church volunteers which includes delegating office responsibilities to volunteers.
- Coordinates use of kitchen facilities and does daily inspection and light clean-up in those areas. Additionally, handles ordering and securing paper goods for dinners and other organized church activities.
- Responsible for compiling annual information booklet for Annual Church Conference.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Shall be sympathetic with the Christian faith and the purposes of The United Methodist Church.
- Knowledge of personal computers using Windows operating systems; knowledge of the functions and operations of a data base, e-mail, word processing (preferably Word), desk top publishing (preferably Publisher), PowerPoint, and spreadsheet (preferably Excel) programs; knowledge of spelling, grammar, arithmetic, and office practices and procedures; knowledge of how to operate multi-line telephone systems, copiers, printers, postage meter, fax machine, and other office equipment.
- Skill in typing and word processing at a speed of 50 wpm or more; skill in organizing office work load and scheduling; strong communication skills for face-to-face and telephone interactions.
- Ability to meet and interact effectively with people; maintain effective working relations with staff and volunteers; make decisions consistent with the facts and established policies and procedures; handle confidential/sensitive information with discretion; learn the church management system software; compose letters, memos, and other documents which clearly communicate ideas in writing; organize and maintain records and files; work independently; and maintain priorities and set goals.
- Prior clerical/secretarial experience involving computer use is required; experience interacting with the public is preferred; experience working in a church setting is helpful.
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT DAILY OPENING ROUTINES
- Turn on office equipment and the lights
- Unlock kitchenette and make coffee
- Check e-mail periodically during the day and email and answer to the individual or forward to the appropriate staff person.
DAILY CLOSING ROUTINES
- Turn off office equipment and the lights
- Lock financial assistant’s cabinet
- Lock the safe
- Clean coffee pots in the kitchenette and lock it up
- Church calendar updates and/or changes
- Church Suite updates, changes etc., on as needed basis
- Joys/Concerns e-mails to staff as needed
- Special mailings as assigned
- Keep committee/council e-mail addresses up-to-date
- Special projects/mailings
- Process accounts payable checks for mailing each week
MONTHLY OR AS ASSIGNED ROUTINES
- Do memorial letters and bring memorial book up-to-date
- Funeral arrangements (funeral stewards, funeral meal, etc.)
- Wedding arrangements – keep spreadsheet updated and distributed to all concerned.
Contact: Linda K. Edman
946 Vermont St Lawrence KS
Attached file(s): view file