Prayer places, sacred spaces
Set up a prayer room in your church, school or in an open space in your town.
Offer a variety of stations of prayer, e.g:
- Have a pile of stones that people can place in the bowl of water as an act of confession, or of letting go of hurts and anxieties.
- Have gummed paper strips available on which people can write prayers for peace and justice in the world and then link them together to form a chain.
- Set up a 'Thanksgiving' board where people can pin up notes of things they wish to thank God for.
- Use candles (safely!) as a focus for silent prayer.
- Have Bible passages on pieces of card for people to reflect on and then take away.
- Use music - either to create an atmosphere for the whole prayer space, or through headphones for individual contemplation.
Organize a labyrinth in a public place, such as a shopping mall, local park or school and encourage people to enter into a journey of prayer.
For inspiration about labyrinths visit www.lostinwonder.org.uk or www.labyrinth.org.uk .
*Used with permission from our friends at The Methodist Church UK