There are a few educational tracks for deacons. All require completion of the Basic Graduate Theological Studies (BGTS) classes through a University Senate approved school or GBHEM approved program.

  • Completion of a Master of Divinity or other theological master degree from a University Senate approved school (must include the BGTS)
  • Completion a master’s degree in the area of specialized ministry, i.e. a MSW for a deacon specializing in social work, plus completion of the BGTS
  • If the transfer deacon candidate is at least thirty-five years old, a third option is available: completion of professional certification in the area of ministry where the deacon will serve PLUS completion of a minimum of eight semester hours of graduate credit in that area PLUS completion of the BGTS