Summer College Internships and Programs
Available Internship Opportunities
Have you dreamed about how God might use you to change the world this summer? Check out these opportunities on how you can make a difference, explore leadership, and spend a ‘summer of service’ that you will remember for a lifetime!
Learn about connecting your faith with social justice and practice leadership skills by visiting, researching and presenting key social justice topics throughout the Great Plains.
Explore your gifts in ministry through serving full-time in a local church, mentoring by a pastor and sharing in various aspects of pastoral leadership throughout the summer.
Churches who have identified someone who could serve as a summer intern can apply for matching grants.
Internship Roles and Expectations
Role of Great Plains Summer Internships: To identify and explore how God is calling you in the world through hands-on experiences in ministry
We will do this by:
- Exposing you to excellent ministry work and leaders
- Developing your leadership and ministry gifts through interaction
- Give you equal opportunities to lead and be led. Duties will be chosen to give you opportunities to manage the details of programming and practice of ministry.
- Helping you grow in knowledge, faith, and maturity within the ministry setting
As a Great Plains Summer Intern, you will:
- Serve in an area of interest and be given specific job responsibilities and goals
- Have weekly meetings with supervisor and group for planning, feedback and spiritual formation
- Participate in a group orientation session at the beginning and end of your internship
- Build community with fellow interns and clarify vocational discernment
- Provide a short reflection paper at the conclusion of the summer that summarizes your experiences and articulates the status on how God is calling you in the world
- Preferred candidates will have completed high school or have at least one year of post-high school work experience
- Be Safe Gatherings Certified
- The Safe Gatherings certification can be done during the application process. See application for details.
- Will work full-time for a total of 10 weeks over the summer. Churches applying for a part-time youth or kids ministry intern through the Matching Grant Internship will be considered.
- INTERN APPLICATIONS
- EARLY DEADLINE FOR INTERN APPLICATIONS: January 20
- FIRST ROUND INTERVIEWS: by February 14
- ANNOUNCED: by February 19
- LATE DEADLINE FOR INTERN APPLICATIONS: March 15
- SECOND ROUND INTERVIEWS: By March 27
- ANNOUNCED: by April 1
- APPLY HERE
- CHURCH APPLICATIONS
- For both Pastoral Leadership and All Matching Grants: March 1
- APPLY HERE for a Pastoral Leadership Intern
- APPLY HERE for a matching grant to host your own pastoral, youth ministry, or kids ministry intern
- INTERNSHIP CALENDAR
- INTERNSHIP BEGINS: May 18, 2020
- OPENING RETREAT: May 20 – 22, 2020
- INTERNSHIP ENDS: July 26, 2020