Summer College Internships and Programs
Have you dreamed about how God might use you to change the world this summer?
Check out these opportunities on how you can make a difference, explore leadership, and spend a ‘summer of service’ that you will remember for a lifetime!
Internship Roles and Expectations
Role of Summer Internships with the Great Plains Conference:
To identify and explore how God is calling you in the world through hands-on experiences in ministry
We will do this by:
- Exposing you to excellent ministry work and leaders
- Developing you leadership and ministry gifts through interaction
- Give you equal opportunities to lead and be led. Duties will be chosen to give you opportunities to manage the details of programming and also to practice ministry
- Helping you grow in knowledge, faith and maturity within the ministry setting
As a Great Plains Summer Intern, you will:
- Serve in an area of interest and be given specific job responsibilities and goals
- Have weekly meetings with supervisor and group for planning, feedback and spiritual formation
- Participate in a group orientation session at the beginning and end of your internship
- Build community with fellow interns and clarify vocational discernment
- Provide a short reflection paper at the conclusion of the summer that summarizes your experiences and articulates the status on how God is calling you in the world
- Preferred candidates will have completed high school or have at least one year of post-high school work experience
- Be Safe Gatherings Certified
- The Safe Gatherings certification can be done during the application process. See application for details.
- Will work full-time for a total of 10 weeks over the summer.
Applications and interviews for Great Plains Internships take place in at least three rounds.
- January 20: first application deadline
- January 21-24: first round interviews
- February 17: second application deadline
- February 18-22: second round interviews
- March 17: third application deadline
- March 18-22: third round interviews
Applications received after March 17 will be interviewed on a rolling basis until the teams are full. We look forward to receiving your application.
Opening Retreat: May 20 – 24, 2019
End of Internships: July 28, 2019
- Each intern will earn $9 per hour for up to 40 hours a week for 10 weeks.
Churches wishing to apply for Pastoral Leadership or Network Internships, apply here. Priority deadline given by March 15.
Learn about connecting your faith with social justice and practice leadership skills by visiting, researching and presenting key social justice topics throughout the Great Plains.
Explore your gifts in ministry through serving full-time in a local church, mentoring by a pastor and sharing in various aspects of pastoral leadership throughout the summer.
Explore leadership in the dynamic landscape of networks. Work with local churches who are working on connecting, develop your gifts and graces in the context of 5-10 church, and see how those gifts and graces can be played out in the church.