Great Plains announces winners of education grants
The Great Plains Conference has issued its Education Partnership grants for the 2016-17 school year. The committee responsible for reviewing grant applications chose to fund projects at 13 schools ranging from $350 to $1,000 each.
Priority this year was given to funding projects that laid groundwork for sustainable ministries, that leveraged in-kind giving, utilized volunteers to build relationships with students and/or that were unique and creative partnerships between congregations and schools.
Grants this year were awarded to:
- Dellrose UMC in Wichita, Kansas – Funds go for publicity and for added activities for a school supplies bash and end-of-year cookout.
- Alma UMC in Alma, Nebraska – Funds to help launch a preschool for special-needs children.
- Valley View UMC in Overland Park, Kansas – Funds to help in preparation of a “backpack snacks” program.
- Kismet UMC in Kismet, Kansas – Funds for clothing for emergency needs during the school day due to accidents and illnesses.
- Faith Westwood UMC in Omaha, Nebraska – Funds for curriculum.
- Trinity UMC in Salina, Kansas – Funds for an after-school program that works with kids from three elementaries.
- Burwell UMC in Burwell, Nebraska – Funds “breakfast in a bag” for students.
- Burlington UMC in Burlington, Kansas – Funds for training volunteers for the elementary school library.
- Urban Abbey in Omaha, Nebraska – Funds for a teacher for conversational Spanish to be taught to English-speaking parents.
- Marquette UMC in Marquette, Kansas – Funds for tutors and mentors for students.
- Calvary UMC in Taylor, Nebraska – Funds for healthy snacks for students during late-start and early-out days.
- Wyandotte UMC in Kansas City, Kansas – Funds for tutors and reading assistance.
- DeSoto UMC in DeSoto, Kansas – Funds for “Girls on the Run” to foster a focus on healthy living.
To learn more about educational partnerships and to gain ideas for how your church could get involved with a neighborhood school, go to a page dedicated to the subject on our website.