Pastoral Leadership Internships
As one plank in our strategy to help nurture great leaders for the Great Plains, the Call Team of the Board of Ordained Ministry in conjunction with the Clergy Excellence office supports a summer Pastoral Leadership internship program for young adults aged 18-22. This ten-week program will provide young leaders the opportunity to experience pastoral work in the most “hands-on” way possible while being supported by a mentoring pastor and a teaching congregation.
Commitments of the local church:
- Desire to assist the work of the Holy Spirit in the life of a young adult who is discerning a call to full time vocational ministry.
- Willingness of the congregation to be a learning environment, where new ideas and exploration are welcomed and celebrated.
- No change in senior pastoral leadership over the summer of the internship.
- Ability to provide housing for the intern with a church family. Housing must be in a location convenient to the church and include a private room, the ability to come and go as needed and the opportunity but not the expectation to join in family meals or activities.
- Budget of approximately $500 to cover transportation to Internship retreats, attending annual conference session, purchase of a book or other resource and other unanticipated expenses related to the internship.
- Ability to provide own work space in the church including access to telephone, internet and printing/copying with regular space available for private meetings. Intern can be expected to provide own computer.
- Exposure to all facets of pastoral work over the course of the internship. Examples include making hospital visits, funeral preparation, preach and plan worship at least twice, attend committee meetings, meet with new members, teach a class or classes, shut-in visitation, VBS, youth group party, etc.
- Flexibility in scheduling as ministry has irregular hour. The expectation is for a 40-hour work week with adequate and regular time off.
- In a multi-staff environment the intern can be given the opportunity to shadow and learn from multiple staff people but the primary mentoring relationship will be with an ordained clergy person. Regular contact with the senior pastor is expected, at minimum a weekly meeting for reflection, questions and encouragement.
If your church is interested in learning more, download the following:
Commitments of the intern:
- Desire to listen to the Holy Spirit’s guidance about future vocation while experiencing active ministry inside a local congregation
- Willingness to learn and be mentored while exploring new gifts and trying out new skills.
- To act in a professional manner in all situations acting as a representative of the church in the community.
- Work at least 40 hours a week, be open to duties as assigned and ask for new opportunities of interest.
- Set goals for the summer which could include: plan and design one signature project for which they would have primary leadership.
- Meet with the senior pastor weekly, participate in the weekly staff meeting and write a summer end paper reflecting on their experience.
If you are or know of a young adult who would be interested in applying to be an intern, go to the internship page to learn more and apply.
Deadline to apply is March 15.
For questions, please contact Ashlee Alley, email@example.com or 402-464-5994, ext. 117.