Grants for Exploring Spiritual Self-Care
Clergy can become so busy taking care of others and the church that they neglect to make time for caring for their own souls. There’s a real threat of becoming spiritually and emotionally empty while seeking to care for the minds, souls, and bodies of our congregations and communities. The invitation of Jesus in Mark 6:31 calls to each of us…
“Come by yourselves to a secluded place and rest for a while.”
We are at our best when we take time to rest in God, to disengage from ministry for a time, and to recharge. As encouragement to care for yourself, we invite clergy of the Great Plains UMC to apply for one or more mini grants designed to give you the space and/or persons to help you renew and recharge. The mini grants available are listed below and you may apply for more than one grant and the grants are renewable (through March 30, 2021).
- $35 for a 2-day, 1-night retreat at a retreat center or other location of your choice where you connect with God. It is suggested that you use/access one of the following for your retreat time.
- Use Desert Day outline to plan your time away
- Create your own retreat with resources listed here
- Use For Your Life resources to reflect on your next stage of ministry and set goals (Self-Directed Retreat Coming Soon!)
- $80 for a 3-day, 2-night retreat (resources same as above)
- $75 towards the $150 cost of 6 hours of coaching with a conference peer coach (https://www.greatplainsumc.org/coaching). If you select this option, you will receive a coupon for $75 to use when you register for coaching on the coaching registration.
- $75 towards 3 sessions of spiritual direction
- Find information about conference vetted spiritual directors here
- $100 off the registration for the Center for Pastoral Effectiveness retreats (must have first retreat by June 2021). Click here for current information: http://www.pastoraleffectiveness.org/resourcesforclergy.html