Instructions for Submitting Resolutions for Annual Conference 2020
For the purposes of the Great Plains Annual Conference, a resolution asks the Annual Conference to take a stand on a particular issue or to direct a body within the Conference to consider a specific action on behalf of the Conference.
Resolutions for consideration by the Conference must originate from an individual or entity within the Great Plains Annual Conference. These may include, but are not limited to, congregations, groups within a congregation, individuals (both lay and clergy), district organizations, or Conference Boards and Committees.
- Resolutions must be submitted digitally as a Word document or compatible format. Handwritten submissions will not be accepted.
- The top of each page of the resolution should read as follows:
- Page Number and total number of pages
- Suggested Title (fewer than five words indicating how it relates to the Great Plains Annual Conference)
Financial Implications – None or Yes
- Each resolution should begin with a rationale of no more than 50 words explaining the purpose of the resolution.
- After the rationale, state the reason(s) that support the requested action. Statements should begin with “Whereas.” It is recommended that statements be concise and limited to fewer than five.
- Following the reason(s), explain the action(s) you want to be taken and by what date. Please be specific in your request. The first action statement should begin with “Therefore, be it resolved.” Subsequent action statements should begin with “Be it further resolved.”
Each resolution should indicate the person or group you believe should implement this action. Begin this line with “Suggested person/group for Implementation.”
- The bottom of the final page of the resolution should include:
- Signature of the submitter(s) of the Resolution. Electronic signatures are acceptable in accordance with common business practices.
- Identification of the person actually submitting the resolution, i.e. “(Name), member of the ____ local church” or “(name), Chair of the Annual Conference Session Planning Team.”
- Phone number
- Fax number
- Email Address
- All items for action must be submitted by April 15 in order to be included in the workbook. The only exceptions will be items being addressed later by the Connecting Council or requests for late submission which are approved by the Annual Conference Sessions Planning Team prior to the submission deadline.
- Items for action must be submitted by email to the Conference Secretary and the Assistant to the Bishop at email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In cases with more than one signatory of a resolution, only the first signer’s name shall be listed in the conference workbook, followed by the number of additional signatories. The names of all signatories will be provided on the annual conference website.
- Late items for action may be included in the packet distributed at registration if approved by the Annual Conference Sessions Planning Team. The person or group submitting the late item shall supply 1600 copies printed on 8 ½ x 11” paper and punched with three holes to a location designated by the Secretary no later than May 15. In addition, the person or group must submit an electronic file to the Conference Secretary and Assistant to the Bishop prior to the beginning of annual conference.
- When a resolution is adopted that calls for the Conference Secretary to communicate with less than five persons or entities, pertinent contact information shall be provided by the maker of the motion. When a resolution is adopted that calls for the Conference Secretary to communicate with 5 or more persons or entities, the maker of the motion shall be responsible for the distribution of the correspondence provided to them by the Secretary.